Avoid Tooth Loss with these Easy Steps
|February 25, 2016
If you want to learn how to Avoid Tooth Loss, schedule an appointment with your dentist who can help you avoid tooth loss with three easy steps.
Proper Tooth Brushing Vital to Avoid Tooth Loss
Good oral hygiene begins with proper tooth brushing techniques. That includes what tools you choose and how you use them.
You may not know it but modern day tooth brushing methods are a fairly recent development. While tooth brushing started as long ago as 3000 BC, it didn’t become widespread until after World War II.
Today dental professionals such as your San Diego dentist suggest you take these steps when brushing your teeth:
- Use a soft-bristled brush at least twice a day
- Brush at a 45 degree angle to your gums
- Gently brush back and forth in short strokes
- Be sure to brush the front, back, and surfaces of your teeth as well as your tongue
- Brush for a total of two minutes
One of the easiest ways to make sure to brush your entire mouth for two minutes is to divide it into quadrants: upper left, upper right, lower left, lower right. Brush each quadrant for 30 seconds. Remember to replace your toothbrush every three to four months.
Learn to Floss Properly to Avoid Tooth Loss
Flossing is essential to oral hygiene because it removes plaque from between teeth and at the gum line. Flossing is important to the prevention of periodontal disease.
Many people find flossing difficult or awkward. Here’s how your La Jolla dentist suggests you make the process easier:
- Use a dental floss holder or interdental cleaning device
- If you do use a piece of conventional dental floss, make sure it’s about 18” long to give you plenty of room
- Wind the ends of the floss around each middle finger, then pinch it between your thumb and index finger
- Pull a tight 1” to 2” length between your fingers
- Gently glide this section of floss between two teeth and slide it along the edge of each tooth
Be sure to slide under the gum line gently so as not to damage your gums. Floss each tooth thoroughly with a clean section of floss. If you have questions or concerns, be sure to speak with your San Diego dentist or dental hygienist.
Visit Dentist Regularly to Maintain Good Strong Teeth
The final step in the process is to make sure to visit your dentist on a regular basis to Avoid Tooth Loss. The average person should visit their dentist every six months. Those with dental issues may need to visit their dentist more frequently.
Following these easy steps should allow you to maintain Avoid Tooth Loss for many years. If, however, you do lose a tooth, regardless of the reason, your La Jolla dentist can help with dental implants.